Start or Transfer Service

Welcome to Benton REA. We’re glad you are here.

Benton REA is a consumer-owned electric cooperative. We are committed to supplying our members with reliable, safe and affordable electric service.

Electric cooperatives are not like other utilities. For starters, when you receive electricity from Benton REA, you become a member-owner of your electric cooperative. As a member, you have a say in how Benton REA operates by voting on importing issues as well as who represents you on the Board of Trustees.

Transfer an Existing Service into Your Name

Moving in? We're glad you're here. If you are not planning to alter or upgrade your electric service in the home or business you plan to move into, all you need to do is sign up for service.

Current Benton REA Members - If you are already a member of Benton REA, simply call us to transfer service into your name at 509-786-2913. 

New to Benton REA - If you are not yet a member of Benton REA - meaning you've never had an electric account in your name - you will need to complete a membership card.  There are two ways to do this: 

  • Online: Click the "Apply for Service" button on this or the home page to complete your membership card.
  • In Person: Visit one of our local offices and fill out a membership card.

Security Deposit - No deposit is required if you provide a letter of credit from your most recent electric provider indicating a maximum of two late payments in the past 12 months. Without a qualifying letter of credit, a security deposit is required.

Security deposits for service other than residential are determined by factors specific to your individual account. Please call 509-786-2913 or 800-221-6987 to speak with one of our member service representatives regarding your options.

Returning Your Deposit - After 12 months of on-time payments, your security deposit will be automatically applied as a credit on your electric account.