Benton REA Members Pay Neighbors’ Electricity Bills

a mother and her child, about 10 months old, pose for a photo on a path with tall grass on either side of them

Benton REA members who need assistance paying past-due electric bills may qualify for help from fellow co-op members through the Power to Care program.

To receive Power to Care funds, you must:

  • Be a residential member of Benton REA,
  • Have a past due balance on your electric account, or have received a electric disconnection notice, and
  • Have a combined annual gross household income equal to or less than 200% of the federal poverty guideline income level based on the number of people in the household.

Bill assistance is granted as a credit on the qualifying member’s electric bill once per calendar year. The amount received depends on family size, household income, the amount due on the electric account and availability of funds.
Benton REA strongly encourages members to call 509-786-2913 before applying to ensure eligibility.

To apply, download the “Power to Care Bill Assistance Application” and return it to a Benton REA office or the address on the form. Visit to download the application.

Want to Contribute?

More than 400 Benton REA members round up their monthly electric bill to the nearest dollar each month, donating the extra change to Power to Care. The program is voluntary and fully funded by member contributions.

Members may enroll on their SmartHub accounts online or on the app, or may call 509-786-2913.

Recent Posts